[nycbug-talk] process tree viewing

Isaac Levy ike
Sun Apr 24 17:40:02 EDT 2005

Hey all,

I was just wondering- does anyone know of any good utilities to
visualize a process tree, (beyond using grep and ps?)

I'm especially looking for a way to quickly visualize hierarchal
relationships of processes- like tab indentation or somesuch.

--
Context:

With OSX, the 'Activity Monitor.app' has a sweet GUI feature for
showing all processes, hierarchically-

I'm basically looking for an equivalent which runs from a shell, cross
platform, i.e.:

--
PID-Name

0-kernel
	\_ 1-init
		\_ 1154-login
			\_ 1155-bash
		\_ 1156-login
			\_ 1157-bash
		\_ 1158-login
			\_ 1159-bash
--

Kindof a clumsy example, but it's the kind of output I'm trying to get.

If there's nothing for this, I'm pondering writing something here...
(but somebody had to have done this before me?  It seems so darned
basic?)

Any ideas or urls much appreciated!

Rocket-
.ike