Re: [nycbug-talk] another. . .?

lists at genoverly.net lists
Tue Apr 26 05:22:02 EDT 2005

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 01:10:27 -0400
"George R." <george at sddi.net> wrote:

> http://www.pcbsd.org/
>
> I find this all a bit confusing. . .
>
> What makes an installer 'hard'?  It doesn't look like Windows?  It
> seems *that* is the standard by which all installers are judged.
>
> I wouldn't doubt the intentions of the creators of PC-BSD, but are we
> really out to conquer the desktops of those who threw out their
> typewriters last year?  With no sarcasm, I think that OS X has
> reasonably done that, in that it's probably the most intuitive desktop
> system around.
>
> And if the BSDs are too difficult for certain sysadmins, they should
> probably find another line of work, preferably something without any
> remotely technical content.

I look at this a little differently.  While I may not agree with all of
their choices, I kinda understand what they are doing.  They are
definitely not making a gui installer for sysadmins.  From what I read
on the site, the ambition is to be more than that.  It looks more like
a holistic approach to 'the desktop pc'.

1. The software must be easy to install.
2. The operating system must be minimalist.
3. Software must be available, and easily installed.
4. The system must be dynamic, yet backwards compatible.

Number 3 looks to be the most interesting to me.  While we may take for
granted a 'make search key=gaim | grep Path' to find software; then 'cd
/usr/ports/net/gaim; make install' to install it; then add our own menu
listing or desktop icon to run it.  This is onerous to the unwashed
masses.  Windows and Mac users download a *single* file and just click
on it.  I mean, c'mon.. THAT is easy.  Anything less than that may be
considered a 'bad thing' to those users.

I can sight Novell/Suse YaST as an example (not as advocacy) of a really
good swipe at that problem and many more.  I have witnessed first hand
the reaction windows users have when they look at it.  They understand
what they are trying to do and marvel at all the software they can
install.  The pretty gui organizes the packages and gives little hints
to what each does.  You can search and sort.  You do not have to waste
time searching the net for software, it is all right there in front of
them.  It even tells you when you need to upgrade.  Clicky-clicky and
they are done.

I would never use it but, that would be COOL on a FBSD desktop.

Yes, OSX has put a pretty face on BSD, undenyably.. and covered those
points well. As many of you may know, I owned an apple notebook for a
while.  But it is proprietary software running on proprietary hardware.
 That can *sometimes* get comparatively expensive; and it is never
described as Free|Open Source Software.  I do not mean to pick a fight
with any apple fans, the zealot would always win.  I am just saying it
is not the last word in conquering the desktops.  Choice is good, here.

I applaud the effort.  This could become as important as FreesBIE.
Michael