[nycbug-talk] another. . .?

Scott Robbins scottro
Tue Apr 26 05:53:54 EDT 2005

On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 01:10:27AM -0400, George R. wrote:
> http://www.pcbsd.org/
>
> I find this all a bit confusing. . .
>
> What makes an installer 'hard'?  It doesn't look like Windows?  It
> seems *that* is the standard by which all installers are judged.
>
> I wouldn't doubt the intentions of the creators of PC-BSD, but are we
> really out to conquer the desktops of those who threw out their
> typewriters last year?  With no sarcasm, I think that OS X has
> reasonably done that, in that it's probably the most intuitive desktop
> system around.
>
> And if the BSDs are too difficult for certain sysadmins, they should
> probably find another line of work, preferably something without any
> remotely technical content.

Y'know, I was debating posting about this.   I think that Open Source in
general has a certain schizophrenia about it--we want to advocate its
use but don't want it to be dumbed down.

I don't think that these people are aiming at sysadmins.  :)  I think
they're aiming at the desktop user, the less experienced user.

As for Mac OSX already doing it, this is true, but it also means buying
new (expensive) hardware and new (expensive) software, as opposed to
taking that PIII 600 with 256 megs of Ram you have lying around.

So, much as the geek wannabe in me protests at this, I think, in the
end, it's a good idea.   I don't think it'll hurt the BSDs and it might
even get some people who will in the end, contribute to the community,
started.  Yes, it will bring in the newcomers who might post (and even
to groups like this)  MY NETWORK ISNT WORKING PLZ HELP THX!!!!.
However, it seems to me, (very subjectively) that BSD is gradually
entering the mainstream anyway, and that sort will drop in sooner or
later.   :)

- --

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Spike:'Made with care for Randy.' (looks at Giles angrily) Randy
Giles? Why not just call me 'Horny Giles,' or 'Desperate for a
Shag Giles'? I knew there was a reason I hated you!
Giles: Randy's ... a family name, undoubtedly.