[nycbug-talk] another. . .?

pete wright nomadlogic
Tue Apr 26 13:28:45 EDT 2005

On 4/26/05, Jay Savage <daggerquill at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/26/05, Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Apr 26, 2005, at 1:10 AM, George R. wrote:
> >

> > Seriously..  The FreeBSD installation process is cake.  It's basically
> > self-documenting.  I think it's great, I wouldn't change a thing other
> > than making it easy to do via PXE.
> >
> > -bob
> >

> I think that's a pretty Rosy view.  For most people, "install" covers
> what we think of as post install, as well.  That's mostly, I suppose,
> because most people think of the system as including large parts of
> the userland as well.  We call a *BSD (or any unixish OS) "installed"
> once we have a prompt and a network.  And then the tinkering and
> configuration begins.

(sorry to edit into your paragraph)
I think that is a good thing.  The power of Unix is both it's
complexity and simplicity.  Not only am I able to get a barebones
system up quickly if I choose (and then perform my custom instalation
tasks, which is fine for one-off installs) but I can also completely
script the install very easily as well...from a serial cable.

>But most people looking for a desktop machine,
> don't consider the installation complete until they have a fully
> functioning X environment with KDE/Gnome and common apps to perform
> common tasks up and running.  Getting to that point can sometimes be a
> long and laborious process.  And then once you're there, let's face
> it, installing X software can be a pain.  The "installation" itself
> isn't usually too bad, but because there's no default windom manager,
> there's no default process for makefiles to use to add entires to
> menus, etc.  so even after I've successfully "installed" a program,
> I've still got several more minutes--maybe longer--of configuring the
> program to work with my wm, or configuring my wm to work with the
> program, or possibly both.

yea, I'm not too sure I agree with X being hard to configure and install.

# xf86cfg
this'll setup me up in no time usually, unless I'm using nvidia binary
drivers in which case I do serveral edits straight outta the README
file for the driver.  then it's a:
# pkg_add -r kde
or if I have time
# cd /usr/ports/misc/instant-workstation && make install clean

furthermore it is all clearly documented at each specifics projects
website etc...

> On Windows, whatever its many faults, adding icons to the start menu
> and the desktop are options in the installer.  OS X, same thing, and
> better still, programs tend to install into one directory, not one of
> +- six.

not sure how adding icons to the start menu should even be close to
the installer....

> Honestly, I would have a difficult time recommending any current *BSD
> as a production desktop environment in a corporate or even academic
> environment that wasn't greared toward some kind of computing or
> technology to begin with.  the BSDs aren't, at the moment, systems for
> people who need to word process, use spreadsheets, and check e-mail,
> and not much else, out of the box.  Heck, at the moment, there isn't
> even a reliable cross-platform integrated office suite--although the
> open office ports keep getting better and are rapidly catching up with
> the Linux and Windows OO.o versions.  At least on FreeBSD.  OpenBSD
> doesn't even have a workable OO.o port yet.

well, I'd tend to agree but for different reasons.  If you are rolling
out Unix workstations you are most likely catering to a specific
application that requires a specific version of Unix to run.  In my
current situation we run a specific version of either IRIX or RedHat
Linux for specirfic applications.  In other fields you will find
people needing Solaris, Hp-UX or even windows for specific
applications.  In those cases you have very specific guide lines to
follow when deploying workstations (specific libraries/hardware etc).
I see no reason why FreeBSD, for example, could not fill the same role
as say Linux for running a 3D application.  Except of course that the
vendor has coded the app. for RedHat on intel etc...

to treat unix workstations in the client-server model that microsoft
has made popular I think is using the wrong tool for the wrong job.
If you want to run a client-server operational model windows is
probably right for you.  100's of individual desktop PC's running
100's of individual instances of a spread sheet and email app.  If you
are building an environment of workstations, or thin clients or
something closer to the Unix paradigm of doing things than I see no
reason why one would not use FreeBSD.  That is unless business
critical applications are not available.

> On the other hand, I would unhesitatingly recommend Ubuntu, the latest
> Kabuntu, or the new Libranet to anyone looking to replace either to
> salvage old hardware or for ethical reasons, because they're not just
> an OSes with x servers thrown on top, they're built form the ground up
> to support a graphical environment.  And yes, part of that is an
> integrated user experience from the install froward.  I would also put
> SuSE on the list with the Novell desktop, but I'm frankly a little
> disturbed by where that project seems to be headed.
>
> Although I find the title of the project unfortunate, I think pcBSD
> could be a huge step in the right direction for BSD.

Those all look like interesting areas of the linux world sure.  SuSE
being the most robust and realistic solution IMO.  The whole "build
with X from the ground up" part is not completly true though.  They
are built on debian (well atleast I know ubuntu is), then tuned
specifically for a specific window manger.

What I think you are trying to do though is treat Unix systems and
Unix methodoligies in a very Windowscentric fashion (the client server
model of doing things).  While we can try all we want to shoehorn *BSD
or what ever into this model I do not think we should be focusing our
limited resources in this direction.

Like I mentioned in a previous post, would a GUI installer admin
thingy be good.  Sure, why not.  But it better not make any
fundemental changes in the power and flexibility of the base system.

-p

--
~~o0OO0o~~
Pete Wright