[nycbug-talk] network strangeness (resource starvation?)

Charles Sprickman spork
Mon Aug 1 18:34:04 EDT 2005

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, George Georgalis wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 05:13:46PM -0400, Charles Sprickman wrote:
>>
>> We've got dnscache in check, and we're not cpu or memory bound, so it's a
>> bit of a mystery...
>
> typically, the dnscache bottleneck is the 'generation' of logs, so even
> if you send them to dev null, they can slow the system down, there are
> some 3rd party patches for this but not sure where.

Hmmm, I'll have to look at that.  We are logging (via multilog).

> Not sure about your problem, have you considered the router as a point
> of fail and the missing ssh chars a result of typing blind?

We've got 11 other boxes on the same subnet/switch and have no such
issues.  You'll literally be in the middle of typing and then everything
stalls, but what you've typed is simply gone, not delayed.  Very weird.

Thanks,

Charles