[nycbug-talk] Re: [macosx-unix] Trusted Computing Poll

Isaac Levy ike
Tue Aug 2 19:28:38 EDT 2005

Hi All,

Thanks for all who responded to this thread- I appreciate the
thoughtful and open responses from everyone.

On Aug 1, 2005, at 11:42 PM, George R. wrote:

> On Aug 1, 2005, at 6:16 PM, Jared ''Danger'' Earle wrote:
>
>> I hate DRM, but I recognise its validity. You're all in NYC,
>> right? Do you hate being spot-searched on the subway because it's
>> a violation of your privacy laws, yet you understand the
>> necessity ...
>
> Sorry Mr. Danger, but no love of the subway searches or any privacy
> intrusions here.

Jared, with my sincerest condolences to you in Brittan, I have to
agree fully with George here on NYC.
I find the subway searches to nothing but violating, and honestly,
being one of many people who are fascinated/knowledgeable with regard
to NYC infrastructure, the searches do absolutely nothing to actually
mitigate risks of terrorism, (except perhaps to placate the fears of
people who don't ride the subway in the first place).  All of it
carries the side-effect of stripping more civil liberties away from
individuals living their lives.

In an example of a fairly base abuse of this new state power being
exercised in America, my girlfriend was recently in Miami working,
and when passing through airport security for check-in, the security
guards took the opportunity to do a full pat-down accompanied by
inappropriate verbal sexual innuendo, and she was prompted to ask to
be searched by a female security guard.  With this, they just stopped
the search and let her move along.
Because of the Patriot Act, I feel less safe as an American in
America; (I say that after schlepping water and ice by foot into
ground zero for 3 days after 9/11). I am fully aware of what is at
stake here, and terrorism isn't what makes me feel unsafe any more
than being hit by a car.  This is simply one recent example of why.

With all of that stated, in Apple's case, as someone who's filled out
more than my fair share of Apple dev. bugreports, I'm saddened that
they are even wasting time in this territory- when they have gaping
holes in the Apple side of the core OS- I worry that Apple, (or
whomever is in charge now that Steve Jobs is off running the iTunes-
music-store etc...), is starting to loose sight of the fundamental
principles behind why people love Apple- high caliber products.

I see this move being detrimental to their business, insomuch as I've
seen *many* businesses focus far too much on *protecting* their
business, and not *running* their business.

I see DRM as a stepping stone to incomprehensible, yet plausible,
personal violation by larger parties.

--
Secondarily, based on positive personal experiences in life and
business, I feel that attempting to exert absolute control over

It's a lazy move, IMHO, to cut people off and make them use your
products, (in a specific way).
It's much more work, to focus on providing products which shine above
and beyond expectations for the function of the product.
The latter has long-term positive repercussions, and provides long-
term benefit for all parties.
We are not doing a lot of the latter in America right now, and this
short-term behavior grieves me.

--
Sorry to rant, but it's just how I feel here.  I've had a very
positive relationship of trust and support from Apple for many years,

Now America, that's another story- one where I'm still figuring out
how to be proactive and positive based on how I feel about things...

A bit more than a .02? rant for now, I really want to do something
positive about this...

Best,
.ike