[nycbug-talk] Fw: OSCON - OpenBSD/CARP slides

George R. george
Fri Aug 5 10:43:15 EDT 2005

dlavigne6 at sympatico.ca wrote:
>> From: michael <lists at genoverly.net> Date: 2005/08/05 Fri AM
>> 09:02:53 EST To: NYCBUG Talk <talk at lists.nycbug.org> Subject:
>> [nycbug-talk] Fw: OSCON - OpenBSD/CARP slides
>>
>> I took the liberty to forward this from misc at openbsd.
>>
>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>> Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 05:35:39 -0700 From: Jason Dixon
>> <jason at dixongroup.net> To: OpenBSD general usage list
>> <misc at openbsd.org> Subject: OSCON - OpenBSD/CARP slides
>>

>> Here are the slides that I presented at this week's OSCON in
>> Portland, OR.  They are available in pdf and sxi (OOo Impress)
>> formats.
>>
>> http://www.dixongroup.net/OSCON/
>

> This was a very impressive demonstration. Afterwards, Jason setup his
> gear at the BSD booth for a live demo. He'd start an ssh session, a
> ping and a large file transfer. Unplug the master router, there'd be
> a slighter higher latency on one ping packet, the transfer continued
> and the ssh session stayed up and you could see the backup turn into
> the master. Plug the master back in, backup became backup again. No
> noticeable packet loss (apparantly it takes 3 packets to do the
> switchover).
>
> Dru

Hey, Lavigne, about time we got some updates. . . ;-)

How come they're not regular?

I recommend Rob Bernier's piece on 'how to schmooze at OSCon':

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2005/07/28/schmoozing.html

Certainly applicable to any other conference.

George