[nycbug-talk] Rescuing an OpenBSD 3.0 System

Jonathan Vanasco jvanasco
Fri Aug 5 16:28:45 EDT 2005

1) thanks to everyone so far

I pieced together a machine w/a cdrom and 3 nics - i'm going to try
one of the firewalls on cd distributions, so other people in my
office get internet while i work on this

in regards to what others said:

On Aug 5, 2005, at 4:10 PM, Jim Brown wrote:

> Sounds like a bad disklabel.
>
> Sit down and breath slowly.
>
> When you are OK, go find a copy of scan_ffs - a disklabel recovery
> tool, written
> by some OpenBSD guys.  My candidate for the BEST BUTTSAVER award.

I'll try that shortly -- that sounds like it could be an issue on the
other machines i pop the drives into.

On Aug 5, 2005, at 4:01 PM, bruno wrote:

> It could be overheating, or something got damaged (PS?).
>
> If you haven't yet, check:
> - PowerSupply - if possible, test with another one
> - is cpu fan spinning? cpu overheat could cause reboots like those

CPU fan is spinning.  I'll try finding another power  supply.

If this machine would work for 15minutes, I'd be ridiculously happy.