[nycbug-talk] BSD on a desktop (revisited)

Gill, Alex alexgill
Sat Aug 6 12:37:38 EDT 2005

Isaac Levy wrote:
> who tends to live at shells on remote servers, and listen to a  lot of
> music...  I like using multiple desktops, and usually switch  between
> LOTS of windows while working.  I'm also an avid key-command  user, and
> learn new GUI app key commands fast- but I expect  consistency for any
> of it to make sense to me.

XFCE4.0:
I've been using XFCE4.0 for about a year and I'm happy with it:
--It runs as components, which means you can drop the panel & taskbar
and just run the WM and desktop modules (xfce-mcs-manager, xfwm4,
xfdesktop). This leaves clean a desktop. (Right click give a menu.)
--These key binding are builtin: F2 to launch app; ALT+CTRL to alt bet
workspaces, resizing with alt F5, F6, F7; alt+F4 to kill...
--Windows snap nicely!
--nice themes to choose from out of box

Caveats: I don't use their session mgr, so I set up workspaces over
after startingx.  4.2 looks very nice, but don't know if it's easy to
start certain modules but no others-- see above.

Alex