[nycbug-talk] SSH not working for particular user

Okan Demirmen okan
Sun Aug 7 22:25:00 EDT 2005

On Sun 2005.08.07 at 21:31 -0400, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, Okan Demirmen wrote:
>
> >this has been there a long time - charles even showed you so in freebsd
> >4.11. check your syslog config - this log should come out of the "info"
> >level.
>

> I think the machine in question didn't have sshd using syslog.
> Also how do you setup the "info" level?
>
> My sshd entry in syslog.conf is
> !sshd
> *.*    /var/log/sshd.log

"*" includes info, in fact it is all. reference syslog.conf(5) to see
how facilities and levels are specified - i.e. facility.level

in any case, as with any syslog'd logfile, make sure the files exists
before syslogd(8) starts, or create it then SIGHUP syslogd(8). there may
be a few other things with your syslog.conf(5) - for example if you have
a statement after this negating *.*, for if there are multiple matches,
the last one wins. for kicks, toss in some tests and play with logger(1)
- hopefully the issue will reveal itself.

okan