[nycbug-talk] gmail and mutt

David Rio Deiros driodeiros
Mon Aug 8 03:29:55 EDT 2005

On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 02:17:29AM -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:
> So, I was just wondering, does anyone use mutt regularly with a gmail
> account, and how did you set up the smtp server?

I use mutt + msmtp. It very powerful and flexible.

My msmtprc file looks like:

defaults
logfile ~/.msmtp.log

account gmail
host smtp.gmail.com
port 587
from driodeiros at gmail.com
user myuser
password mypassword
auth on
tls on

account default : gmail

And then I tell mutt to use msmtp for sending the email:

set sendmail="/opt/local/bin/msmtp"

You can easily use different accounts and use then as you
need. Check the msmtp site for more info.

By the way, I still have a very annoying problem with gmail
that I couldn't manage to fix yet. I cannot see the emails
that I sent to the mailing list. I mean, gmail servers
remove the emails coming from the mailing list with me in
from. It is very annoying. Anyone know how to fix that?

David