[nycbug-talk] nfs client fbsd 5.4

pete wright nomadlogic
Thu Aug 11 16:12:51 EDT 2005

On 8/11/05, Steve Rieger <steve.rieger at tbwachiat.com> wrote:

> i thought that i have the ability to mount nfs with the hard option
> in my /etc/fstab but obviously i dont
>
> and so i have a question for you people
>
> am currently mounting all my websites via nfs off a san (about 1TB)
> with the following options
> nfs-server:/export/http /http nfs rw,noatime 0 0

looks like you are using more of a NAS topology instead of a SAN topology ;)

what can i do to make a (even slight) increase in speed/stat times,
> am getting too many smarty issues, to be comfortable to sleep at night.

first thing i'd due is check your read/write buffer size between the nas and
your client. Depending on the size/frequence of the data you are moving
maybe having 16k blocks or 32k blocks will give you better performance than
the default, which i belive is 8k. Also, check your network settings....are
you using gig-e between the nfs client and server? if so try using "fat
packets", some switches support MTU of 9600. this will improve performace
greatly for large data sets.

i'd also finally check how you have your disks RAID'd, are you happy with
your disk I/O etc..

HTH
-pete

--