[nycbug-talk] Can I install FreeBSD 5.3 from a USB CD drive?

Jim Brown jpb
Thu Aug 11 21:20:37 EDT 2005

* Maude User <maudeuser at yahoo.com> [2005-08-11 20:15]:
> Hello -
>
> I want to install FreeBSD 5.3 onto a rackmount server that came with two SATA hard drives
> (it came with no CD or floppy). I will borrow a keyboard and monitor because I was informed
> today on this list that a "headless install" from my laptop over a null-modem cable would slow.
>
> I was going to buy a cheap USB floppy drive today (I saw prices from $30 to $50) but at jandr.com in NYC today I saw a USB CD-RW/DVD+/-RW on sale for $99
> (Panasonic DVRS706) so I got that instead, figuring it was "more bang for the buck".
>
> Can I install FreeBSD 5.3 from this USB CD drive?
>
> If not, what sort of CD drive can I install from?

While I don't know the specfic equipment in your question, the general response
is that it is the BIOS that determines 'bootability' i.e. whether a device
can be used as a boot device.  Check the BIOS setting first, there may
be a setting for booting from USB.  If not, try 'removable drives' if it is shown.

If that fails, you might be able to boot from a network device using PXE booting.
Check the handbook (and your BIOS documentation) regarding PXE boot support.

If all that fails, try removing the hard disk and placing it in another compatible
system which has a bootable CD ROM.

And if *that* fails, post again.  I'll be really interested to hear your curs^w comments.

Best Regards,
Jim B.