[nycbug-talk] ports. . .

Marc Spitzer mspitzer
Fri Aug 12 13:48:52 EDT 2005

On 8/12/05, pete wright <nomadlogic at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/11/05, George Georgalis <george at galis.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 06:37:24PM -0400, Marc Spitzer wrote:
> > >
> > >Replacement bad, break scripts etc....
> >
> > I'd be happy with a backwords compatable ps upgrade.
> > even a wrapper could do it with a little work...
> >
> > >/usr/pkgsrc/sysutild/pstree good, installs as proctree so there is no
> confusion.
> >
> > I find that terribly hard to read compaired to my example, and with few
> > switches to adjust output.
>
>  george, i know you have brought up this before.  have you checked out
> possibly porting gnu's "ps" to bsd?  just curious...

If I remember correctly gnu ps is systemV not bsd for the most part,
could not find an on line man page for it.  To make it a drop in
replacement would be a lot of work over a long time.  It would have to
be kept in sync after all.

If you really want this functionality it would be better to add it to
the current ps and submit a patch to the maintainers.  That way it is
their job to keep up with it not yours.

marc