[nycbug-talk] Newbie can't boot server - needs person or shop in NYC with mobos & CPUs to troubleshoot

George R. george
Fri Aug 19 17:01:57 EDT 2005

Francisco Reyes wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, George R. wrote:
>
>> I have been dealing with GCS for probably 10 years now. . . and Lee
>> there made a funny point to me once.
>

> Another vote for GCS. Ever since George mentioned them to me some year+
> ago have ordered about 4 system from the for clients and 1 personal. So
> far it has been a great experience.

My comment wasn't so much about GCS than about name-brand vendors versus
no-name vendors.

While the adage that "No one has ever been fired for picking IBM" is
true, at least from my experience, it's also true that big vendors often
rely on their laurels than quality.

I've worked with a number of very expensive digital video recording
systems, and nothing makes me laugh harder than paying $6500 for a
system from a large name, only to find that it has Maxtor drives inside.

Alex isn't dead wrong on the issue of buying Dell, and simplifying your
acquisition.  And they certainly have better support than many unknown
smaller firms.  But for those who regularly order hardware and do system
configurations, it's not only usually cheaper, but also you can really
know what's inside and adjust according to your needs.