[nycbug-talk] Monitoring programs

pete wright nomadlogic
Fri Aug 19 18:26:00 EDT 2005

On 8/19/05, Charles Sprickman <spork at bway.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, pete wright wrote:
>
> > On 8/19/05, Francisco Reyes <lists at natserv.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> cricket-1.0.5_1
> >> A high performance, extremely flexible monitoring system
> >
> > works well for us here, we track a considerable amount of services with
> > cricket (we tie it into our nagios setup).
>
> Hmmm... Are you somehow using your nagios configs to generate cricket
> configs? I've been looking for an *easy* way to graph everything that
> nagios monitors.

yea i totally mispoke there, we have our cricket graph's intergrated into
nagio's web interface. the cricket checks run via cron i believe.
<snip>

> > In my experience nagios seems to be the most flexible and robust
> solution
> > going, it can be a pain to configure but by the same token you can get
> it to
> > do alot of different things (SNMP checks, scripts, etc..). For the type
> of
> > checks you want to run, this may be your best bet as most of those
> checks
> > already exist or are online as plugins.
>
> The only thing right now that's really got me worried about Nagios is that
> the latest version (2.x branch, which is what's in the ports tree now)
> does not play well with FreeBSD's thread library (4.x or 5.x) and I've had
> little success in getting Ethan to interface with a few helpful people on
> -hackers. To me, it looks like Nagios is not doing something correctly
> with threads based on the responses I saw on -hackers. On the Nagios
> devel list people just suggest running Linux to "fix" it. So that's all a
> little dicey. I hate seeing software go from "it runs on unix" to "runs
> best on linux" for no good reason.

yea i'll second those concerns with the nagios 2.x branch. i've also found
the mailing lists to be...ummm...how should I say it, not up to par ;)
although this may be due to the fact that it's one of the few lists i sub.
to that have a large number of junior admins and windows users on it ;)

-p

--
~~o0OO0o~~
Pete Wright