[nycbug-talk] Monitoring programs

Francisco Reyes lists
Sat Aug 20 17:01:21 EDT 2005

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Marc Spitzer wrote:

> now for service monitoring/trending take a look at smokeping, dont
> know if it is in ports though.

Interesting package.

> Also most monitoring solutions use snmp, you may or may not want that
> to be turned on.

Given that I don't know the status of the firewall on all these machines,
for now I want easy/safe solutions.

> And while rrd, cricket & smokeping etc, is way cool it does result in
> data loss by design.

What do you mean? They only show the current status?

> You may just want to stick data in postgress or
> sqlite and crunch what you want out of it

Today is "learn mysql" day, but plan tomorrow to take a look at the
mentioned packages.. although I am tempted to just capture the output of
df, du and "w" for now and dump it into a PostgreSQL database for now..
until I really have time to go through each fo the packages people
suggested.

Of the packages mentioned (criket, nagios, big brother) any suggestions as
to which one is relatively easy AND secure?