[nycbug-talk] Anonymous ftp upload questions

pete wright nomadlogic
Mon Aug 22 11:52:31 EDT 2005

On 8/22/05, michael <lists at genoverly.net> wrote:

> > None of the uploads work, but I am kind of annoyed at these test
> > uploads, but I'm thinking there is very little I can do about this.
> > Any ideas? Anyone else have a similar set up? Would you set up a no
> > privaledges account, rather than go anonymous, seems like more of a
> > hassle to risk having a real user id and password, even with really
> > restricted privs, going out over ftp.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > --
> > Marco
>
> I run vsftp on FreeBSD, it is great stuff. Anon is tough, I block it.
> vsftp has a lot of flexibility, why not create a single user for them to
> upload? I set their password using mysql auth, so no shell access. You
> can use vsftp to tweak their rights.

sweet, hey michael so is mysql auth part of the stock vsftp package or is
there some vodoo that will get that working. proftpd's DB auth when i hacked
it some time ago was not too fun....what was nice about what we did though
was that the ftp daemon did not need access to /etc/passwd, so producers
could create/delete ftp accounts directly on the DB.
-pete

--
~~o0OO0o~~
Pete Wright