[nycbug-talk] Undefining a variable set in make.conf

Scott Robbins scottro
Wed Aug 31 00:21:22 EDT 2005

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 12:01:35AM -0400, Marc Spitzer wrote:
> On 8/30/05, Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> >

> > Here's the situation. The OP has WITH_RUBY defined in /etc/make.conf
> >
> > Now, he wants to build /usr/ports/devel/subversion.  Its makefile has
> > an if defined WITH_RUBY line.

(Much useful information snipped for brevity--see man make)

> this:
> .if defined(WITH_RUBY)
>
> shoud be this:
> .if (defined(WITH_RUBY) && (WITH_RUBY == "YES"))
>
> or even better:
> .if (defined(WITH_SUBVERSION_RUBY) && (WITH_SUBVERSION_RUBY == "YES"))
>
> file a bugreport, feel free to send in a patch also
>
> and my make is very rusty so there might be a syntax issue.

I was about to post a followup to this.  One of the most knowledgeable
people on the forums posted an answer quite similar to yours, suggesting
that the original poster send in a PR, though his suggested syntax was a
bit different, simply adding an .if defined(WITHOUT_RUBY).

My make is almost non-existant, so I'm not sure which solution would be
best, though I rather like the && RUBY== "YES" better.

Either way, I have my answer which is, that as things are, it would
involve hacking the Makefile.

> plan B is to not use make.conf to set variables but to use the config
> file for portinstall/portupgrade(can never remember the port name)
> which allows you to set port options on a per port basis
>
> marc

Thank you--this really is a ~good~ list.

> --
> "We trained very hard, but it seemed that every time we were beginning to
> form into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that
> we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing, and a wonderful method it
> can be for creating the illusion of progress, while producing confusion,
> inefficiency and demoralization."
> -Gaius Petronius, 1st Century AD

Well of course things are different now.  :)   (Snicker, cough)

My favorite is that quote
decrying the youth of today that we children of the 60's figured was
from Nixon or whoever and turned out to be by Aristotle.

- --

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Giles: I suspect your mother would want to... put it on the
refrigerator.
Buffy: Yeah. She saw these scores and her head spun around and
exploded.
Giles: I've been on the Hellmouth too long, that was metaphorical,
yes?
Buffy: Yes.