[nycbug-talk] how much is too much?

Aleksandar Kacanski kacanski_s
Mon Dec 5 12:25:44 EST 2005

Honestly, I don't support ticketing systems for
environment like yours. I would say that ticketing
system does help in strictly service driven
environments with a quick turn-around time and well
defined procedures. (e.a. ISP's). I do like and use
project management systems and collaboration systems,
where projects could and should be assigned, ideas
bounced and solutions posted for future recall.
This approach, does support idea of getting users
involved and helps them learn and fix their own
problems. It also requires from you and staff to write
fast and post lots of info, most if it at the offset
of the new policy. Software and hardware policies are
important part, but you need to have a boss who
actually have a spine to say no to user base and their
bosses. In organizations that support massive
ghosting procedures and keep everything important on
the server side, user support becomes ratter trivial
thing, specially when you have on-line source of
information for users (wiki's, email, www ....)
I do currently support user base of 150 with junior
admin and myself. But there is also a big difference
between educational environment and industry...
-:)
hope this helps,
/s

Aleksandar (Sasha) Kacanski