[nycbug-talk] Oracle 10g on FreeBSD 6.0

Jerry B. Altzman jbaltz
Mon Dec 5 12:31:41 EST 2005

On 12/2/2005 5:16 PM, Marc Spitzer wrote:
> On 12/2/05, Jerry B. Altzman <jbaltz at 3phasecomputing.com> wrote:
>>Oracle+linux is at least *supported* by Oracle -- they'll help you get
>>it running. Oracle+FreeBSD is "you're on your own".
> getting it running is not what scares me so much as *keeping* it
> running.  The last thing I ever want to hear is, from any vendor, is
> "Please put your box in a supported configuration so that we can start
> to work on why your ecommerce site is down during Christmas shopping
> season" etc.  To knowingly put a client or employer in that position
> is wrong pure and simple, yes even if they agree and want to do it we
> should know better.

Agreed -- and Oracle, love them or hate them, publishes configurations
that they *will* support, it includes several Linux distros (RHES and
SuSE, if my memory isn't faulty).

So: if you want to run Oracle, make sure you're running a system they
support (solaris, RHES) and not something offbrand.

> marc

//jbaltz
--
jerry b. altzman  jbaltz at 3phasecomputing.com  +1 718 763 7405