[nycbug-talk] Machine hangs upon boot load screen

Francisco Reyes lists
Wed Dec 14 04:19:27 EST 2005

Have two near identical machines, with the disk drives the only difference,
that are having different behaviours (one been the freezing).

Machine 1 freezes upon the bootup screen (the one with the menu, right
before the kernel boots).

Machine 2 works fine.

On the trouble machine we tried disabling ACPI and AIPC and it did not help.
Usually the freezing occurs after 2 or 3 seconds.

To make it more interesting... if we press enter right after the menu comes
up the machine boots perfectly fine and the machine works without any
problems.

Both machines with FreeBSD 6 Stable as of Dec 6.
We are going to try 6 Release... and failing that then we will try 5. Stable.

Any suggestions?

Will post motherboard tomorrow when I get back to the office, but it's
interesting that we have that second machine with the same CPU/motherboard
which works fine.