[nycbug-talk] Machine hangs upon boot load screen

Francisco Reyes lists
Wed Dec 14 16:05:37 EST 2005

pete wright writes:

> On 12/14/05, Francisco Reyes <lists at stringsutils.com> wrote:
>> Have two near identical machines, with the disk drives the only difference,
>> that are having different behaviours (one been the freezing).
>>
>> Machine 1 freezes upon the bootup screen (the one with the menu, right
>> before the kernel boots).
>> On the trouble machine we tried disabling ACPI and AIPC and it did not help.
>> Usually the freezing occurs after 2 or 3 seconds.
>>
>> To make it more interesting... if we press enter right after the menu comes
>> up the machine boots perfectly fine and the machine works without any
>> problems.

> check BIOS rev's/options, failing that have you swapped the drives
> between both machines?  This should tell us if it's a possible
> hardware issue or OS install issue.

We downgraded the problem machine to 6 Release and it works fine.
Given some recent upgrades in the 6 stable line related to IDE/SATA
controller I am thinking that if I can't get 6 stable to work, may go with 5
Stable.

In the mean time I posted on stable this problem, since we were able to
narrow it down to FreeBSD stable sources.