[nycbug-talk] How to start a new thread

Dan Langille dan
Fri Dec 16 11:20:28 EST 2005

On 16 Dec 2005 at 11:09, Ray Lai wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 09:53:03AM -0500, Dan Langille wrote:
> > On 16 Dec 2005 at 9:50, Ray Lai wrote:
> > > Actually the point of the previous e-mail was more to find out who
> > > I could share a room with.  As the forwarded message says, "the
> > > cut-off date for reserving a room at the conference hotel at the
> > > ShmooCon group rate is TOMORROW."  So, who can I bunk with?  (Of
> > > course, the cost is split.)  If we haven't gotten a room yet we've
> > > got to get one really soon.
> >
> > Us, being a social lot, answered your [only] question.  ;) Who's
> > going.
> >
> > You might be better served by starting a new thread, with the subject
> > "Sharing rooms at ShmooCon"
>
> So, who can I bunk with? =)

Please do not take this the wrong way.  What I'm about to explain is
a minor point about threads and how best to make them work for you.
I'm cc'ing the list because you're sure to not be the only one that
doesn't know how this works

Close!  But you replied to my message. Which does not start a new
thread.

See here:  http://lists.nycbug.org/pipermail/talk/2005-
December/thread.html where you'll see that your message is still part
of the original thread.

What you need to do is start a brand new email.   Don't reply.

Granted, some email clients, mine included, allow you to remove the
headers that make the new email part of an existing thread.    If you
check the above URL, you'll see that it's a new thread.  I hit reply
to your email, but used the special features to remove the In-reply-
to: and References: headers.

cheers
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/