[nycbug-talk] Verizon Woes got you down?

Charles Sprickman spork
Tue Dec 20 12:57:50 EST 2005

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Isaac Levy wrote:

> Hi Jon,
>
> On Dec 20, 2005, at 12:28 PM, Jonathan Vanasco wrote:
>

>> On Dec 20, 2005, at 10:57 AM, Isaac Levy wrote:
>>>
>>> Sounds OK for my current application, a hard-use office LAN, (and Verizon
>>> was popping out for 12-48 hrs at a time), so we figured it can't be any
>>> worse than that :)
>>
>> Am I correct in guessing that this Is this the T1 nightmare you
>> inherited from me?
>
> Ayup- indeed it is.  Wish you were here to see the it up man :)

And Bway had the luck of being the last T1 provider (via Covad) to give it
a shot.  I heard the short version of the install trauma via my coworker.
I don't think there's a problem in relaying this since we all know that no
matter what you do, if you run lines to a smallish building, there are no
last mile alternatives.  If you're in a high-rise, then you have a few
excellent things going for you:

-metro ethernet (which we are pushing hard anywhere that has the service)
-T1/T3 lines via a CLEC that has fiber in the building

In both cases you can be completely verizon free without worrying about
the crowded NYC airwaves.  It's truly a shame that NYC has such an
excellent density to sell wireless into, but it also has so much RF
pollution that it's hit or miss.

Anyhow from what I gather, this last T1 install involved Verizon not only
botching the T1 install for this office, but knocking out multiple T1s
that belong to a very important client in the building, and then walking
out without fixing it for quite some time.  Not a good way to make
friends...

Right now we're starting to work with a salesman turned telco agent for
direct VZ T1s.  Back when I worked with him at inch.com, he worked
wonders with his secret VZ rolodex.  A botched job could be turned around
the same day if you knew the digits to dial to get the right guy on the
job.  I'm hoping he still has the magic touch.

In the past, I've seen problems like the one in Ike's customer's building
solved by leaning on Verizon hard enough to get fiber and a mux installed
in the building.  That usually brings you up to 5 9's reliability.  VZ is
reluctant to do this in older/smaller buildings, but I've seen it happen
if the building management allows this (no charge for the fiber + mux, but
some buildings just don't want to give up a few square feet in the
basement).  Usually when you see a "T1 from hell" it's copper from the CO
to premise, and given the condition of VZ's copper plant in Manhattan,
you're lucky if it works.

Charles