[nycbug-talk] How secure: wireless + ssh?

Francisco Reyes lists
Thu Dec 22 17:17:22 EST 2005

Dan Langille writes:

> If all you do is ssh from your laptop, they can't sniff that any
> easier than if it was on the wire.

That's what I figured, but thanks for the re-assurance.

> If you want to stop others from using your wireless connection,
> that's a different issue.

I think, from what I read, that WEP will stop the casual hackers... and
hopefully I will be able to do something better soon.. like the article you
reference below.

>  I achieve both security and control
> through IPsec.  http://www.freebsddiary.org/ipsec.php

> My laptop, whether running Windows XP Pro or FreeBSD, uses IPsec.

Thanks for the Link.. printed to read on the way home.
Where did you find instructions for the windows part?
I plan to partition the 80GB drive in the laptop as 10GB Windows XP, 70GB
FreeBSD... or something simmilar.