[nycbug-talk] 2x 3Ware Escalade 9500S-4LP SATA

Charles Sprickman spork
Tue Dec 27 14:42:26 EST 2005

> I have 2 of these cards still, and have been mucking about just trying to get
> *any* kind of install to happen using them with FreeBSD (their specs are
> *soooo* much nicer than my Adaptec cards, at the same price...)

Ike,

I've been following some discussions on the Postgres-performance list
since I'm needing to think about chaning our RAID build (currently Adaptec
ZCR SCSI stuff).  I'm kind of seeing some serious slagging of traditional
SCSI host-based RAID controllers there - the on-card processors don't seem
to be keeping pace with the scsi chain, newer drives, or modern computing
in general...  Notice how NO ONE that sells host-based RAID cards posts
any benchmarks in their sales/tech slicks...??

That said, many there are talking about SATA RAID.  These are database
people, mind you, who are very picky about storage.  The 9500 series cards
are very highly recommended, but there's also a brand that I have not
heard of before called "Areca":
http://www.areca.com.tw/index/html/index.htm

These are getting very positive reviews, and Areca's benchmarks claim that
they beat out 3Ware as well.  FreeBSD is mentioned throughout their site,
and the driver author for FreeBSD is an Areca employee.

Just thought I'd share this...

Charles