[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD rebooting every 120 seconds =-(

Jonathan Vanasco nycbug-list
Tue Dec 27 16:16:12 EST 2005

Same thing happened to me this summer.

Gave every suggestion it was some odd software / disk error.

It wasn't.  The culprit?  Bad power supply from a brownout/power
fluctuation in the building, which eventually fried the CPU.

I'd toss a new power supply in there ASAP, just to be safe, as you
continue your testing (they're like $30, you might even have a
spare).  Then check to make sure all of the CPU and case fans are in
working order.  If this is the problem, and you get to it in time,
your CPU/MoBo is safe.  In my situation, it was the last thing I
tested, and it ended up taking out the CPU.  Not ideal.

 From my experience, this  sounds exactly like that issue -- but
thats only because I've NEVER had a non-windows machine go into a
reboot cycle aside from this one bad power supply.