[nycbug-talk] 2x 3Ware Escalade 9500S-4LP SATA

Francisco Reyes lists
Sat Dec 31 12:52:00 EST 2005

Isaac Levy writes:

> Right- but has anyone simply tried to *install* straight FreeBSD 6
> using the card?

I thik you would need to do a 6 Stable ISO disk... which I didn't know how
to do, so followed AMCCs instructions. Installed 5.4, then loaded module
from floppy... then upgraded to 6 stable.

> *Not fun*, so far.  The TWE driver is not loading
> properly after installing, so it boots ok from the bootonly ISO, but
> after a fairly 'stock' install, (no wacky options), rebooting (for
> the first machine boot) just sits tossing errors over and over...

I believe support for the 9550SX went in around Dec 7. You would need an ISO
after that date.

> The Areca Raid Controller cards have a battery backup option too,
> with most cards I've bought it's always an add-on option.

What the tech at the vendor mentioned was beyond just battery backup.
Supposedly they have an algorithm that safeguards the data... supposedly
better than just the run off the mill backup. I will as the tech if it's ok
to quote his email.. he explained it better. :-)

> The 3Ware card battery add-on option fits on the card itself, which
> I'd say is a consideration for a 1u system.

I think the PCI next to the card would be pretty tight after adding the
add-on.

> /me doesn't trust any vendor or sales engineer until I live with it
> for a few years...

I think most people won't really be able to test most of the differences.. I
don't know other places, but where I work thinks like "test", "benchmark"..
don't get much priority.. All I hear is "when will the machine be ready"..
Lucky for me we recently had a machine die on the second day so I use that
now as a reference as to why I like to keep the machine for a few days
without doing much real work on it.. I would hate to spend a day or two
setting up a machine for production to then have it die and have to return
it.