[nycbug-talk] 2x 3Ware Escalade 9500S-4LP SATA

Isaac Levy ike
Sat Dec 31 14:15:52 EST 2005

Word,

On Dec 31, 2005, at 1:27 PM, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> Isaac Levy writes:
>
>> Hey Francisco,
>> Thanks for hanging with me on this thread- it's providing me with
>> a  lot of good insight man.
>
> My pleasure.
>
>>> I thik you would need to do a 6 Stable ISO disk... which I
>>> didn't  know how to do, so followed AMCCs instructions. Installed
>>> 5.4, then  loaded module from floppy... then upgraded to 6 stable.
>> OUCH OUCH OUCH.  I can't do this for production webservers, I
>> just  can't.
>
> I thought this was a new machine. Isn't it?

Yes, the machines are new, but everything except the RAID card is
identical to machines I've had in hard production for some time now.
I have some slack for hardware failure in production, insomuch as
these are Jailing boxen, so the jails are respectively backed up to
each-other...  But they *do* need to be solid...

Again, using FreeBSD, the Adaptec cards are very very stable, but
they are soooo 1995- slow, and wonkie in the features/mgmt arena...

>> Big picture question, aside from the NYC*BUG dmesg database, how
>> could we proactively make this situation better?
>
> Support vendors that support FreeBSD.
> The company we bought from, http://www.siliconmechanics.com/, are
> familiar with FreeBSD and we explained in pretty definite terms
> that we were going to use it with FreeBSD. The burden was on them
> to give us a system that worked with FreeBSD.
> When we got stuck we called them and they did some leg work for us
> to refine the instructions from AMCC so we could get the machine to
> work. If we had have to do the research all on our own it would
> have been a different story. They setup a simmilar machine to what
> we got, tested our problem, replicated it and wrote back to us when
> they had specific instructions on what needed to be done.

Gotcha- their stuff looks like SuperMicro gear- so the FreeBSD
support seems natural, (I've had great times with SuperMicro
equipment for many many years using FreeBSD).

>> That is now in my Monday Afternoon Queue as well...
>
> Those lists are NOT as responsive as this list.. best to seed your
> question NOW.. to give it time before tuesday (are you actually
> working monday? :-)..

Gah- /me puts on a "hello my name is" namebadge...

> I shouldn't be saying anything about monday.. I asked the owner if
> we needed to come on monday and his phrase was "you don't have to
> come, but would be very helpfull"... He is really a great person so
> I will go.. we have lots of pending projects trying to get finished.

Ha- :)  I forget when the holidaze are...

Rocket-
.ike