[nycbug-talk] tape drive woes

Dan Langille dan
Thu Feb 3 19:46:48 EST 2005

I was given a DDS-4 tape drive at BSDCan last May.  Last night, it
started acting up.

The following gives the following:

   mt -f /dev/sa0 status => http://www.langille.org/tmp/ach-dumps.txt

It's not the card (I hooked up a SCSI disk and newfs'd it, just
fine).  It's not the cable (I tried another one, but not a new one).

So now I'm looking at buying another DAT.  AIT and DLT media is too
expensive for my needs.

So I'm looking at buying a Seagate DDS-4 Scorpion STD2401LW
<http://tinyurl.com/5g6ga> for CAD$650 (+taxes).

Anyone got one and can tell stories about it?

Please note: This is not the thread for saying tape is crap, DAT is
crap, use HDD, use DLT, etc... Unless of course, you're prepared to
give me the hardware and the media. Then I'm prepared to listen.  :)

--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - The Technical BSD Conference - http://www.bsdcan.org/