[nycbug-talk] .WorkGroup, Apache and FreeBSD Hostname

Pete Wright pete
Thu Feb 3 22:32:29 EST 2005

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 10:26:43PM -0500, Matthew Terenzio wrote:
> I know this seems like an Apache question, but I have my first FreeBSD
> box going and I think it's related to the way I installed it.

sweet welcome to the cult...err..ahh family :)

> BTW, I  love the easy to use Ports install process.
> Installed Apache
> Couldn't start it.
>
> In the error log:
>
> [alert] mod_unique_id: unable to gethostbyname(".WorkGroup")
>
> I commented out mod_unique_id and Apache works, but what is .WorkGroup?
> Sounds Windowsish, but is it some deafult?

sounds like you should probably set your hostname, this can be done easily
via /stand/sysinstall..or if you want to do it the "proper" way you
can edit /etc/rc.conf and set:
hostname="freebsdrox"
or something ;)

> I didn't name the host that unless it was inadvertent.
> I'll mention the machine is running DHCP on a wifi home network. Not
> sure why I think that's relevant.

as a general rule on *BSD related lists it is generally a good idea
to post the following info if you haven't the foggiest what a problem
may be:

uname -ar, dmesg and any special modifications you have done on
your install.  usually a uname -ar is a good enough for config
questions, if you are getting odd error messages a dmesg is generally
a good idea.

-pete

--
~~oO00Oo~~