Fwd: [nyphp-talk] Re: [nycbug-talk] mysql lisc. question

Pete Wright pete
Sat Feb 5 00:58:57 EST 2005

On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 12:43:39AM -0500, Matthew Terenzio wrote:

> > I'm no license expert. But I plan to be one in the coming
> > months/years.
> >
> > But this seems like a point of contention between different OS
> > licenses that might become divisive for certain causes.

yea i totally agree, on one hand i can imagine that MySQL AB has to
please the GPL camp and on the other they have to make money for a
product that they are devloping.  From my perspective it looks like
using a BSD or MIT style liscense may work out better for them...but
that obviously would not work for historical reasons.

in the end tho, despite this apparent miscommunication, it seems like
MySQL may be doing a good thing by allowing the use of the clustering
tech. freely for people who do not re-distribute thier product...altho
i'm not sure why one would limit it to only GPL apps and not all OSL
certified lisc.

-p

--
~~oO00Oo~~