[nycbug-talk] Shmoocon device. . .

bruno bruno
Mon Feb 7 12:49:07 EST 2005

On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 10:54:02AM -0500, Marco Scoffier wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 09:53:29AM -0500, G. Rosamond wrote:
> >
> >On Feb 7, 2005, at 9:51 AM, marco at metm.org wrote:
> >>Can you sum up what this device can do that kismet/mac can't ?
> >>
> >Fit in your hand.
> >
> >It's the size of the standard Verizon caller ID boxes. . . but a little
> >thinner.
> >

> Ok.  Sorry for being an idiot, but if I want to connect my laptop to a
> wireless net, I can run kismet to find networks, presumably my laptop
> will already be in my bag ...
>
> why do I want another heavier than software device ?

Sometimes it is harder to find an open AP. It might take a number of
blocks, or minutes, until there is one available (open and signal is
strong enough). In cases like this, it is easier to walk around with a
little hand held device than an open laptop. It is also less suspicious
(just in case), and saves laptop battery. It depends on your needs, if
you don't need to read email or do things many times a day using
wireless, then it probably makes less sense to get one.