[nycbug-talk] httpsd

Jonathan jonathan
Mon Feb 7 17:33:27 EST 2005

Pete Wright wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 02:09:11PM -0500, Marc Spitzer wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 13:14:11 -0500, Pete Wright <pete at finn.nomadlogic.org> wrote:
>>
>>>On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 06:43:12PM -0500, csnyder wrote:
>>>notied some improvements in loading pages....but it was still slow.  then did
>>>what i should have done fromt he get go, ran top while loading pages and noticed
>>>that impad was maxing out while my INBOX was being loaded.  i think this may have
>>>to due with my *very* cluttered INBOX.  i'll post more info when i have it....
>>
>>If you are using a mbox(aka 1 big file) for your local inbox you will
>>have problems, I speak from experience here.  The problem  is that you
>>need to load and parse your inbox and due to the way UFS works if you
>>change anything, other than an append on the  end, you will need to
>>write the new file then delete the old(from imapd POV) and this can
>>use 2x the space of the inbox and be very slow.  look into maildir or
>>some other format if you have lots of mail and want imapd to be happy.
>

> fortunately I'm using Maildir, i made that decision a while ago...around
> the time i migrated away from POP.
>
> -p

Just a "Me Too" but I have the same problem.  Courier-IMAP will max out
for about 10-15 seconds before Squirrelmail even gets the data to start
creating the page.  This is with a Maildir folder with 11000+ messages
in it.  My 300 message inbox only takes about 3-4 seconds total.  The
numbers may be somewhat off as it's been a while since I've actually
used my webmail but they should be fairly close.  I do have threading
enabled which I know increases the workload but even before I enabled
threading it was not much faster :P  If someone would like a shell
account to test things I may be able to provide one, or just tell me
what to do on IM.

Hope I can help,
Jonathan