[nycbug-talk] editting pdf's... (dot dot dot)

Okan Demirmen okan
Tue Feb 22 23:23:48 EST 2005

On Tue 2005.02.22 at 23:15 -0500, Marc Spitzer wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 23:01:20 -0500, Okan Demirmen <okan at demirmen.com> wrote:
> > so in my quest to have a paperless office, i'm struggling with one
> > big thing: faxing/emailing back forms sent or downloaded in pdf
> > form.
> >
> > thought i'd hit up this knowledgable list to see if anyone has any
> > bright ideas ;)
> >
> > obivously the faxing thing is not an issue (faxmodem+hylafax), nor
> > the emailing part;) the part about filling out forms that come
> > across the wire as pdf. i'm aware that adobe can edit certain
> > "fillable" pdf forms, but the majority of stuff out there is not
> > of that type - besides, i'm not going to bye adobe to fill this gap ;)
> >
> > are there any ideas out there? is coverting the pdf to an image,
> > then editing that image a valid, and sane, idea? ideas? or maybe a
> > hit on the head with a good cluestick that has the magic google
> > search keywords ;)
>
> Emacs?  only half in jest.  A regular pdf is just a text file after all.

hah ;)

> Also check out the linux emulation stuff, adobie supports linux(I
> think anyway)  so perhaps you could get it running and use the linux
> versions edit features.

so i'd do the emulation thing, but now i have to go out and buy
this adobie thingy, which possibly could be more $$, legally, than
a silly hardware fax machine, and most probably could not edit ~80%
of the pdf's out there.  someone correct me if i'm wrong, but a pdf
has to have "fill-in" attributes before even adobe can edit it, which
happens during the creation phase - maybe.

thanks though

okan

> marc

Okan Demirmen <okan at demirmen.com>
PGP-Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB3670934
PGP-Fingerprint: 226D B4AE 78A9 7F4E CD2B 1B44 C281 AF18 B367 0934