[nycbug-talk] Mail stress test

Pete Wright pete
Fri Feb 25 15:41:22 EST 2005

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 01:51:11PM -0500, Steve Rieger wrote:
> Ok so nobody knows, and it might not even be possible to max out the
> concurrent connections for those protocols.
>
> So I will take a step back and ask do you know of a way I can create 100
> concurrent connections for each of those protocols, on these servers.

this still may be possible with the perl modules (i assume there
are modules for other langs as well).  for example, the Net::IMAP
module from CPAN pretty much give you all the functionality of an
imap client. so you could setup on the server a test account with
messages in it and have to script connect, get a listing of messages
etc.  i believe the same is true for Net::POP etc.  so i guess i'm
suggesting that by using libraries like this you should be able to
script something up.  i'm sure one of the python or php guru's here
know of similar way's to do this.

now will this give you a good measure of how each server will handle
a live load...i dunno.

-p