[nycbug-talk] Odd log messages with OpenVPN bridge

Jonathan jonathan
Thu Feb 3 16:08:13 EST 2005

Dru wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Jonathan wrote:
>
>> I keep getting the following messages in my daily security run and
>> clearly they have something to do with network looping but I don't
>> know what causes them or how to look into them further.  I did try but
>> Google turned up nothing at all :P
>>
>> server.kc8onw.net kernel log messages:

> <snip>
>
> Someone with network socket programming experience could explain exactly
> what's happening, but I suspect it has something to do with:
>
> man tap
> /error
>
> And, even if you can't read source code, you still might find something
> useful by checking out the comments in the source:
>
> locate tap.c
> grep "*/" /usr/src/sys/net/if_tap.c

I didn't think to check the source file before, although I did skim the
man page before my first mail at least :)  I didn't see anything useful
in the man page or source code and I don't think the problem is tap
specific.  I think its more of a general network issue possibly
something to do with the fact that bridge(4) does not support 802.1d but
I really don't know :P  I put more configuration information in my reply
to Isaac Levy's post.

Thanks,
Jonathan