[nycbug-talk] failed port install

Marc Spitzer mspitzer
Sat Feb 5 18:43:55 EST 2005

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 18:04:50 -0500, Matthew Terenzio <matt at jobsforge.com> wrote:
> Is there an easy way to back out of a port install gone bad.
>
> During a PHP install I was prompted for a few parameters and
> accidentally chose Apache 2 instead of 1.3

first you have portupgrade installed right?  If not please install it.

> make deinstall doesn't work because the installation didn't happen
> and running make install again fails, and I don't get prompted again.
> Or reconfigure --with-apxs

try doing a make clean or make distclean(I think), there is a very
nice man page also on ports.  if worse come to worse you can delete
/var/pkg/db/, /usr/X11R6/ and  /usr/local/ and start from scrach.  If
you have upgraded perl and setup a link into the base system then you
will need to fix that before the clean up.  Before you do that though
it might be wise to try a make deinstall on every package that showed
up on the make clean, in the reverse order that they showed up and
then try again.  To figure out how to take good notes 'man script'.
Also please be aware that some packages you may try to delete have
other things that depend on them.

marc

> I didn't see any mention of this in The Handbook

I am sure that it says some where, pay attention to what you are doing
and don't screw it up.   But I could be wrong, actually I hope I am.

marc