[nycbug-talk] Laptop purchase possibility. . .

Okan Demirmen okan
Fri Feb 18 11:17:43 EST 2005

On Tue 2005.02.15 at 23:18 -0500, Pete Wright wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 11:09:31PM -0500, G. Rosamond wrote:
> > I was dead set on a ThinkPad, but after playing with a client's Sharp
> > MM10, I may change that.
> >
> > For those who don't know them, check out www.sharpusa.com, but make
> > sure your browser identifies as IE.
> >
> > They are two pounds, have 10.4" displays, and are sweet. . . with the
> > extra battery, they get 9 hours of uptime. . .
> >
> > Googling shows some references to people running a BSD on them, but
> > does anyone on Talk have any experience, things I should know, etc. . .
>
> ok i'll bite, i'm an huge fan of the thinkpads.  i have an X31 (which seems
> pretty similar to the MM10).  it does look pretty good, but a couple things
> that differ i think are worth noting.  first off, i'm a huge fan of the
> thinkpad "nipple" for the mouse.  i've always had problems with the track-
> pads on laptops, my palm always seems to move the mouse...which will end up
> moving the focus on my window in xwindows.  the "nipple" is not in the way
> and the thinkpad's have a real three button mice as well.
>
> secondly the X31 comes with builtin Gig-e via the "em" device.  seems to
> work quite well with 4.x.  lastly it's got a 1.4ghz chip on it, that will
> scale down to 550mhz when running on batteries.  i get about 5 hours of
> battery life on it (unless i'm using my pcmcia wifi card then i loose about
> an hour or so).  so performance is not too bad on the sucker either.
>
> i don't know the price of the sharps, and granted you do pay a premium with
> the thinkpad but IMO it's worth it.

i'm with pete on this. as much as the premium may be for a thinkpad, i
will always go for one. it is not a branding thing at all, more of a
feature set - though that is hard to enumerate. i'd love to see ibm (or
whoever the new vendor is) to start offering mobil amd64 ;)

okan

> -p
>

> --
> ~~oO00Oo~~
> Peter Wright
> pete at nomadlogic.org
> www.nomadlogic.org/~pete
> 917.415.9866

Okan Demirmen <okan at demirmen.com>
PGP-Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB3670934
PGP-Fingerprint: 226D B4AE 78A9 7F4E CD2B 1B44 C281 AF18 B367 0934