[nycbug-talk] editting pdf's... (dot dot dot)

Isaac Levy ike
Wed Feb 23 12:14:47 EST 2005

Hi Okan, George, All,

- my quickie .02?,

On Feb 22, 2005, at 11:01 PM, Okan Demirmen wrote:

> obivously the faxing thing is not an issue (faxmodem+hylafax), nor
> the emailing part;) the part about filling out forms that come
> across the wire as pdf. i'm aware that adobe can edit certain
> "fillable" pdf forms, but the majority of stuff out there is not
> of that type - besides, i'm not going to bye adobe to fill this gap ;)

/me winces:
I've worked with these PDF forms systems since their baby days, (98'?),
and in the end, it's the same deal as Word docs.  The PDF specification
is open, but all the form stuff, is extra stuff that Adobe has layered
in on top- muddy territory, I don't think it's all open spec stuff that
Adobe does.

Regardless, the only apps that actually work with these things are
adobe acrobat apps- plain and simple.  I've had PDF's that came to me
which I opened with Preview.app on my mac, (where pdf is built into the
core display engines), only to find that Preview wasn't displaying
filled-in form text.  Had to open with Acrobat Reader, really annoying.

So in the end, we have 3 real choices:

1) Give in and run Adobe apps somewhere/somehow
2) Be hardcore about what formats people send you stuff (.txt !)
3) Write something or get involved with an open project that addresses
your needs, (none of which seem very comprehensive or solid at the time
of this writing)

--
That stated, my solution in the office is to just stay away from all of
it- I've become somewhat of a pain with file formats (No word files,

Another solution I've been slowly moving towards, is more web use-
areas for my clients to upload files, and for me to post contracts,
etc... in HTML.  Since I build things like intranets all the time, I've
been noodling my own intranet type app for a long time- but never
really finished off the job cleanly, (though it's amazing how far a web
app with decent access control can go...)

On Feb 23, 2005, at 11:51 AM, George Georgalis wrote:

> Actually in the spirit of paperless office, I refuse fax
> communications,
> "I don't have a fax machine" because, anyway you slice it, it is
> everything we don't like about paper, only low-res.
>
> // George

I kindof agree with GG here- I try to minimize faxing alltogether,
using the local kinkos or copy shop for the 1 or 2 times annually that
I need to send/recieve faxes.  As another sidenote, I've done the efax
things, years ago, and well, I personally found it really quite
annoying in the end- none of the software/services/etc are ever very
complete- after all these years.  Usually I find I need to fax signed
docs, which in most contexts I want to fedex anyhow...

OK, a bit more than .02?, but whatever...  Hope DC's treating you well
and your office at least has a good view of the Potomac or some
monument or somesuch.

Rocket-
.ike