[nycbug-talk] PCMCIA NIC on a laptop - RELENG_5_3

Godwin Stewart gstewart
Sat Jan 1 09:34:48 EST 2005

Hi all,

I hope 2005 has kicked off to a good start for everyone (once you've all
recovered from your hangovers :o) ).

So far on this laptop I've done a fresh install of 5.3-RELEASE, then
cvsup'ed RELENG_5_3 and did a buildworld/buildkernel. So far so good.

I even ironed out the "RTC running twice too fast" problem all on my very
own like a good boy who does his homework before crying for help, but here
I'm stuck.

My problem is WRT the PCMCIA NIC being brought back online when I wake the
laptop up from suspend mode or when I insert the device. "ed1" is indeed
brought back up but no IP address is assigned to it (each machine in the LAN
has a static IP, no DHCP) and there's no IP route to the outside. I have to
run /etc/rc.d/netif & routing start to get that back.

Before pulling the NIC:
flybsd# ifconfig ed1
ed1: flags=108843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.1.252 netmask 0xfffffe00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
        inet6 fe80::240:f4ff:fe3e:60d7%ed1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
        ether 00:40:f4:3e:60:d7

When I pull the NIC out:
ed1: detached

Shove the NIC back in:
ed1: <NETGEAR FA411> at port 0x300-0x31f irq 9 function 0 config 7 on pccard0
ed1: [GIANT-LOCKED]
ed1: Ethernet address: 00:40:f4:3e:60:d7
ed1: if_start running deferred for Giant
type NE2000 (16 bit)

Having put the NIC back:
flybsd# ifconfig ed1
ed1: flags=108802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        ether 00:40:f4:3e:60:d7

So, I read the handbook and see that pccardd can invoke scripts upon events
such as the pc-card device being yanked or inserted - this looks just like
what I need.

pccardd isn't actually running right now, despite pccard_enable="YES" in
/etc/rc.conf (and yet *someone* is managing the pc-card buses right now
because the job is being half done). Furthermore, if I try and run pccardd
manually, the logs say this:

Jan  1 15:15:43 flybsd pccardd[495]: fatal error: no PC-CARD slots

And yet:

flybsd# dmesg | grep pccard
pccard0: <16-bit PCCard bus> on cbb0
pccard1: <16-bit PCCard bus> on cbb1
ed1: <NETGEAR FA411> at port 0x300-0x31f irq 9 function 0 config 7 on pccard0

Confused yet? I am!

What do I need to do to get my IP address and routing back short of doing it
manually each time?

G. Stewart - gstewart at spamcop.net

The sun goes down just when you need it the most.