[nycbug-talk] Bind 9.3.0 on FreeBSD 5.3.

Isaac Levy ike
Tue Jan 4 12:54:33 EST 2005

Hi Rodrique,

On Jan 4, 2005, at 12:39 PM, swygue wrote:

> =
>
> I need some help setting up Bind 9.3.0 on FreeBSD 5.3.
>
> Here is my setup:
>
> edit /etc/rc.conf
>      named_enable="YES"
>      named_chrotdir="/var/named"
>      named_chroot_autoupdate="YES"
>
> Generate rndc.key, create rndc.conf, place rndc.key in named.conf and
> rndc.conf
> Create Forward zone, reverse zone, loopback
> Place my named server in /etc/resolv.conf
>
> Rebooted, then I tried the following:
>
> hazika# dig
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.3.0 <<>>
> ;; global options:  printcmd
>

> hazika# /etc/rc.d/named stop
> named not running? (check /var/run/named/pid).
>
> hazika# /etc/rc.d/named start
>
> hazika# ps -aux | grep 'named'
> root     670  0.0  0.8  1620  972  p1  R+   12:21PM   0:00.02 grep
> named
>
> hazika# netstat -an | grep '.53
> Unmatched '.
>
> hazika# rndc start
> rndc: connect failed: connection refused
>
> Some help please, it seems Bind is not running.
>

> --
> Rodrique Heron

I've not run Bind 9, but worth a shout, I belive the command 'ndc
start' (or stop or restart etc.) may do the trick.

The FreeBSD handbook is somewhat unclear on the topic, insomuch as the
Bind 9 page, refers to '/etc/rc.d/named start',

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-
bind9.html

Whereas the big DNS page simply refers to 'ndc <start|stop|restart>',

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-
dns.html

Rocket-
.ike