[nycbug-talk] token question from meeting...

Okan Demirmen okan
Thu Jan 6 01:15:39 EST 2005

george and i were talking about open source-based token based
systems, and well, since it was also a question last night, i'm
posting...

i remember looking into this a while ago, and recall that the API
is open for x9.9, so getting 2 factor auth with an open source
solution seems highly likely. the cost really comes down to management
and the tokens.

i can validate that x9.9 auth works fine with the software token
calculator, x99token(1), and yes, including ssh, at least with
bsd_auth(3).

so looking at x9.9 tokens out there, you can buy them individually,
but they can be expensive, ~$350, plus probably some sort of device
to initialize it (one per install-base obviously). i'm sure bulk
may get you better prices.

in the past, i've thought about getting one, or using some sort of
hack for token-based s/key, but never took it anywhere. tonight
sparked my interest once again. so, a long shot here, but does
anyone have any x9.9 tokens sitting around anywhere? i can't mess
with my sole securid card, for it's not really "mine".

if not, i may be interested in a joint project to validate a few
vendor's x9.9 token implementations, if anyone else finds value.
my current clients are on both extremes - either want to pay crap
loads of money for securid, or the other side - barely understand
one factor auth ;) so my immediate needs are personal.

okan

--
Okan Demirmen <okan at demirmen.com>
PGP-Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB3670934