[nycbug-talk] lame...real lame Andy

Isaac Levy ike
Wed Jan 12 06:32:19 EST 2005

Morning all,

Andy Hertzfeld's statements hit me like this little fictional analogy:

Not so long ago, in a place not so far away, a part-time anti-logging
activist, who was lucky enough to grow up in privileged America- where
things like Jobs and Food is plentiful, came to my South American rain
forest to spike trees, and help stop clearcutting.  On the way he got
all sorts of feel-good warm-fuzzy feelings from the trip, and perhaps
truly believed he was doing something good for the world, but he was
totally unaware of me- In this analogy I am an indeginous person who
LIVES in that rain-forest, and *whops*, I tried to cut down a spiked
tree and got seriously mamed.

--
Go Andy!  If you really care about what your talking about in Open
Source, you'd shut your mouth and put your energy to good use

I'm urked because articles like this add to the white noise that hurts
ideas and businesses carried by people who are actually WORKING today
in the front lines of open source.

Andy, if you ever read this and are in the NYC area, I'd love to sit
down and buy you a drink and explain my thoughts further.

Rocket-
.ike

--
BTW- todays AM coffee produced quite a rant below, perhaps valid for
the archive, but there's a snip re. Mach/MKLinux for anyone interested.

On Jan 12, 2005, at 1:41 AM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On Jan 12, 2005, at 0:59, Pete Wright wrote:
>
>>> From the news.com.com interview with Andy Hertzfeld:
>> http://news.com.com/How+the+Mac+was+born%2C+and+other+tales/2008
>> -1082_3-5529081.html?tag=st.num
>>
>> How would things be different for Apple if they switched to Linux
>> from FreeBSD?
>>
>> Technically that doesn't make much of a difference at all.
>> Commercially...
>> The more free software on the system, the more alliances it would
>> allow them
>> to make with companies like IBM, and some of the other open-source
>> systems.
>
> The question's premise is kinda bogus to begin with.  "... they took
> FreeBSD and layered their proprietary OS on top of it to get some of
> the benefits of open source."  Originally it didn't have FreeBSD at
> all, it was BSD code they inherited from NeXT.  There is a lot of
> FreeBSD code shoved into the Darwin kernel and userland, but it's
> nothing anyone who knows what they're talking about would actually
> call FreeBSD.  Linux has *BSD code in it too, and we don't call that
> FreeBSD either.

[snip]
> The microkernel they developed for Darwin derives from the work they
> did for MkLinux, after all.  IBM does support Mac OS X, especially
> their compilers and the Java stuff.

To my knowledge re. Mach and MKLinux, I never worked at apple, but
after hacking around with MKLinux years ago- I'd think that one reason
Apple went with the BSD userland (and many other conventions), was that
MKLinux suffered from a lot of higher-level components being kindof
wonkie (Linux userland, which came from a lot of BSD and other more
ancient stuff).
Basically without a Linux kernel, it wasn't technically even a Linux.
But back then, they seemed to be focusing on Mach development, so it
didn't matter so much what the userland was composed of- they weren't
'doing anything' with it yet- just development.  Once they went to
start *using* the OS for products, it seems they simply went straight
to the source with a lot of things to keep it clean and sane, much of
what followed came from the BSD world and NEXT- (and this incidentally
ends up being where there are actually a few completely synchronized
source trees between FreeBSD and Darwin today.)

--
Re. Andy Hertzfeld, I'll agree with Bob, but perhaps throw in a bit of
a cheap shot here, trendy Linux and GPL ideology is easy enough to tout

"Maybe even a better word is love. You fill the product with love and
then people will love it."

But I gotta say, Andy is being dangerously misleading here with his
Open-Business and 'Apple should use Linux' rant.  I'd say he truly
doesn't understand the industry anymore at this level, (and certainly
not at a technical level).  In his criticism of Steve Jobs, and
Openness, it seems he's not aware of nice moments where Jobs/Apple
tried EXACTLY what he proscribed, years ago even, ala Open Firmware?
http://www.openfirmware.org/
As usual, when things work well, they become transparent and are easily
forgotten...

--
With all that said, I still work my tail off for a living, and shut off
when someone tells me ANYTHING about just HOW I should be free.  If

I also find it ironic when people who have been part of massive wars
over propriety (um, the original Macintosh and Mac OS in Andy's case?)
dive headlong into the GPL, (which I'll dare call totalitarian
freedom).
Guess it's not too strange, since both of these seem to be stabs at
some sort of control/power in the end.  Perhaps this need for
control/power en' masse comes from anxiety produced by the increased
speed and change that tech. brings with it as a side effect, and Andy,
in this context, is simply advocating things that help keep a firm
continuing grasp on technology, in order to maintain a firm
understanding of the world around us.
The only reason it pisses me off is that his mis-statements directly
and negatively affect my free use of open technology, and I don't know
if it affects him either way.

General ike GPL rant:
Bottom line, (and a bit of a stretch here), is the FSF going to sue
somebody for infringing on GPL code for something that thrives in the
context of some closed IP market, yet happens to, say... save millions
of lives in that context?  To me, no one ideal can be successfully
applied to every problem, (even the BSD's).

Or, another example, what if I wanted to make a closed internet-like
network of my own, starting in my neighborhood, perhaps.  Do I have to
let everyone in?  Do I have to use tcp/ip even?  What if it 'succeeds'
and people use the thing to some positive end?  I mean, if I'm having a
dinner party, am I obliged to invite every one of my neighbors?  What
if that would be prohibitive because I couldn't possibly cook/buy the
same gourmet dinner for 100 people that I could for 10?  Should that
stop me from having the dinner in the first place?  Hell no.

I'd argue that not everything done by committee succeeds, and sometimes
an idea needs to live within the focus that a closed environment can
bring to reach useful fruition.  That stated, closing any environment
too much creates an ingrown environment that is bound to fail on it's
own (digital security is an easy contemporary example here.)

I mean, the territory that purist GPL idealism gets into here is the
kind of idealism that turns quickly into imperialism at the worst, and
disrespect at the least.

*sigh*

On to perhaps more constructive thoughts-
.ike