[nycbug-talk] lame...real lame Andy

pete wright pete
Wed Jan 12 15:19:32 EST 2005

On Jan 12, 2005, at 11:17 AM, Aron Roberts wrote:

> Correct me if I am wrong, but unless you modify the library you should
> be able to link against whatever you want with no repercussions from
> the GPL. Even then you would only be required to share your changes to
> that library.
>
> I sure like the BSD license better however I am not sure that you are
> right in this case.

from the horses mouth
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfLibraryIsGPL

"If a library is released under the GPL (not the LGPL), does that mean
that any program which uses it has to be under the GPL?
     Yes, because the program as it is actually run includes the
library."

-pete

>> If you look at RMS's ideal world he was a comunist, you own nothing.

heh well you say that like sharing is a bad thing....what bothers me
about RMS and the GPL is that it infact ends up *reducing* the amount
of freedom and individual has by using the GPL (shamelessly taken from
a rant Theo).

-p

~o0OO0o~
Pete Wright