[nycbug-talk] soho router options (soekris?)

Marc Spitzer mspitzer
Wed Jan 19 10:43:51 EST 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:18:18 -0500, G. Rosamond <george at sddi.net> wrote:

> It actually makes sense for someone in NYC*BUG to maintain a easy to
> install script for Soekris with CF card as the medium.  Complete with
> home connectivity. . . PPOE, etc.  When I have the time, I'd be willing
> to do this. . . make it easy for all to use Soekris just by following
> some easy steps, without worrying about pf rules, etc.  We must be
> responsible for something like 10% of Soekris sales at this point. <g>

umm why?  for around $50 I get a up link port, a 4 port switch, a dead stupid
web interface and it works.   A sokris is what, ~ $200+ and I do not
get the switch.
And it does not work out of the box.

I agree that you can do more with the sokris box, dmz for example, but
the home user market does not need or want a dmz or know what it is.
Sokris is on my toy list and I can  use it as a firewall, but I would
be doing it in large part for the fun of setting it up.

> We have it up on the site, and maybe do a variety of images. . .
> Verizon DSL, Optonline, standard DHCP for external IP, etc.  We could
> make it easy for those without the time or inclination to run Soekris
> at home without much thought or effort.

why spend the extra money and wait for the product to be delivered when I can
just save $150 (200-500 ) and be done with it?   Personaly I have had good luck
with netgear not linksys, but all the arguments apply.

marc