[nycbug-talk] soho router options (soekris?)

G. Rosamond george
Wed Jan 19 11:02:28 EST 2005

On Jan 19, 2005, at 10:43 AM, Marc Spitzer wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:18:18 -0500, G. Rosamond <george at sddi.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> It actually makes sense for someone in NYC*BUG to maintain a easy to
>> install script for Soekris with CF card as the medium.  Complete with
>> home connectivity. . . PPOE, etc.  When I have the time, I'd be
>> willing
>> to do this. . . make it easy for all to use Soekris just by following
>> some easy steps, without worrying about pf rules, etc.  We must be
>> responsible for something like 10% of Soekris sales at this point. <g>
>
> umm why?  for around $50 I get a up link port, a 4 port switch, a dead
> stupid
> web interface and it works.   A sokris is what, ~ $200+ and I do not
> get the switch.
> And it does not work out of the box.

Right  .. . .that's the assumption we're working off of.

> I agree that you can do more with the sokris box, dmz for example, but
> the home user market does not need or want a dmz or know what it is.
> Sokris is on my toy list and I can  use it as a firewall, but I would
> be doing it in large part for the fun of setting it up.

And a DMZ could be part of that image.

>> We have it up on the site, and maybe do a variety of images. . .
>> Verizon DSL, Optonline, standard DHCP for external IP, etc.  We could
>> make it easy for those without the time or inclination to run Soekris
>> at home without much thought or effort.
>
> why spend the extra money and wait for the product to be delivered
> when I can
> just save $150 (200-500 ) and be done with it?   Personaly I have had
> good luck
> with netgear not linksys, but all the arguments apply.

Sure.  But the point of NYC*BUG, to me at least, should be to pool some
of our skills and resources so we can do things like run a Soekris box
without having to start from square one.

sysadmins<->devs
newusers<->old hacks

The idea would be to make it easier for those who *do* want to run
Soekris as a firewall at home without too much effort.

I'd envision this:

You download and copy to your CF card.

Plug it in.

Use it.

all images would include:

standard dhcp range from .150-.200

the particular isps dns servers, ppoe, dhcp, whatever.

dmz ips pre-assigned even if unused covering www, mail, dns.

standard pf rules for the three interfaces.