[nycbug-talk] soho router options (soekris?)

Marc Spitzer mspitzer
Wed Jan 19 11:32:40 EST 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:02:28 -0500, G. Rosamond <george at sddi.net> wrote:

> On Jan 19, 2005, at 10:43 AM, Marc Spitzer wrote:
>

> > I agree that you can do more with the sokris box, dmz for example, but
> > the home user market does not need or want a dmz or know what it is.
> > Sokris is on my toy list and I can  use it as a firewall, but I would
> > be doing it in large part for the fun of setting it up.
>
> And a DMZ could be part of that image.

as could an ipsec vpn server, ssh with port fowarding ....

> > why spend the extra money and wait for the product to be delivered
> > when I can
> > just save $150 (200-500 ) and be done with it?   Personaly I have had
> > good luck
> > with netgear not linksys, but all the arguments apply.
> >

> Sure.  But the point of NYC*BUG, to me at least, should be to pool some
> of our skills and resources so we can do things like run a Soekris box
> without having to start from square one.

But the thing is square 1 is where the fun is, that is the toy value
to me that makes
it worth 4x the proce of the linksys box.  I get to learn/refine a set
of skills.

> sysadmins<->devs
> newusers<->old hacks
>
> The idea would be to make it easier for those who *do* want to run
> Soekris as a firewall at home without too much effort.

I am missing some thing here.

> I'd envision this:
>
> You download and copy to your CF card.
>
> Plug it in.
>
> Use it.
>
> all images would include:
> standard dhcp range from .150-.200
> the particular isps dns servers, ppoe, dhcp, whatever.
> dmz ips pre-assigned even if unused covering www, mail, dns.
> standard pf rules for the three interfaces.
and don't forget the web interface, not kidding here.

It would be fun to do as a project, but it would be about as much fun
to use as a linksys if done well.

marc