[nycbug-talk] soho router options (soekris?)

G. Rosamond george
Wed Jan 19 12:01:54 EST 2005

On Jan 19, 2005, at 11:32 AM, Marc Spitzer wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:02:28 -0500, G. Rosamond <george at sddi.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 19, 2005, at 10:43 AM, Marc Spitzer wrote:
>>

>>> I agree that you can do more with the sokris box, dmz for example,
>>> but
>>> the home user market does not need or want a dmz or know what it is.
>>> Sokris is on my toy list and I can  use it as a firewall, but I would
>>> be doing it in large part for the fun of setting it up.
>>
>> And a DMZ could be part of that image.
>
> as could an ipsec vpn server, ssh with port fowarding ....

Yup . . .

>>> why spend the extra money and wait for the product to be delivered
>>> when I can
>>> just save $150 (200-500 ) and be done with it?   Personaly I have had
>>> good luck
>>> with netgear not linksys, but all the arguments apply.
>>>

>> Sure.  But the point of NYC*BUG, to me at least, should be to pool
>> some
>> of our skills and resources so we can do things like run a Soekris box
>> without having to start from square one.
>
> But the thing is square 1 is where the fun is, that is the toy value
> to me that makes
> it worth 4x the proce of the linksys box.  I get to learn/refine a set
> of skills.

Sure, and then there are those who *want* to use it for whatever
reasons, maybe bragging value, some bad childhood experience or
functionality.  This would give them the basis to at least get it
functional, and then they could worry about playtime later on.

>> sysadmins<->devs
>> newusers<->old hacks
>>
>> The idea would be to make it easier for those who *do* want to run
>> Soekris as a firewall at home without too much effort.
>
> I am missing some thing here.

the <-> thing is about spreading the skills and experience, if not for
training and education, then for usage.

so if nycbug member X is a developer at home, and doesn't have the time
or interest to config a Soekris box, they could utilize the efforts of
member Y, a full-time sysadmin with heavy pf experience.

>> I'd envision this:
>>
>> You download and copy to your CF card.
>>
>> Plug it in.
>>
>> Use it.
>>
>> all images would include:
>> standard dhcp range from .150-.200
>> the particular isps dns servers, ppoe, dhcp, whatever.
>> dmz ips pre-assigned even if unused covering www, mail, dns.
>> standard pf rules for the three interfaces.
> and don't forget the web interface, not kidding here.
>
> It would be fun to do as a project, but it would be about as much fun
> to use as a linksys if done well.

Okay, okay, Marc S. is *not* required to use it.  We won't be probing
your firewall to confirm that you use it.